Temporalité
Nous sommes en 2022 SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends 1639275293 La période jouable actuelle va du 30 juin 2022 au 30 septembre 2022 SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends 1050276528
Groupes à prendre
Nous cherchons activement des cerbères et des hybrides SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends 1639275293
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Pokémon EV06 : où acheter le Bundle Lot 6 Boosters Mascarade ...
Voir le deal

ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Scylla Van Seabrook
Scylla Van Seabrook
ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Personnage
:
SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends FtRFIe0J_o

SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends CSRzQvQV_o

SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends Unknown

Pseudo / Pronoms : evy / elle
Nombre de dés : trois dés en contrôle sonore, deux dés en contrôle sensoriel, un dé en persuasion et hypnose
Résidence : washington, la belle capitale
Profession : attachée au ministère du surnaturel à la maison blanche
Faceclaim : logan browning
Pouvoirs/capacités : sirène ; manipulation sonore (3D), contrôle sensoriel (2D) & hypnose (1D)
Crédits : avatar & aesthetic by adamantium, crackship by leah
Disponibilité RP : disponible ☾ 5/6 (river, lune, odalie, milo, aidan)
Multicomptes : rhea, daesyn & ciarán
Joueur•se

SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends Empty SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends

Sam 28 Nov 2020 - 21:48
dread the day when dreaming ends

“I follow the night
Can't stand the light
When will will I begin
My life again?
Why live life from dream to dream
And dread the day when dreaming ends”

Sometimes, Scylla was truly asking for it. It was an interesting thing that she couldn’t quite get a grasp on, how she was simultaneously so tired, on the brink of collapse half the time, and so eager to volunteer for anything. Surely this could be divided between the responsibilities that she asked for on the one hand, and the ones she didn’t on the other. But after a while they had started to merge to form this huge pile of duty that had become her entire persona, behind which she had slowly disappeared and was now nowhere to be seen.  But this project was her baby, she had pioneered it from start to – hopefully – finish and could not be happier to stand in that makeshift meeting room on a Saturday morning. She had gotten the idea a few months prior during a visit to Odalie in New Orleans. She knew of the Black Rose shelter, of its reputation and the countless youths that it had helped, but she had never seen it with her own eyes. It was so easy to not be touched by something if you don’t witness it first-hand. And now she had.

She had returned to Washington DC a few days later with a thirty-six-page draft for a proposal. Once she had started to think about it, it sounded absolutely ridiculous that the capital of the United States, an exceptionally dense pool of supernatural beings, did not have the infrastructure to take care of the most resourceless of them.  So she would build it, and not rest until this was a reality. It took a few months, as the board was particularly busy, but she had finally managed to pitch the whole idea with numbers and statistics, and the project had been greenlighted the day before. Only one catch – it could and would not be funded by taxpayer dollars or they would risk a scandal from the far-right parties. It seemed that she would have to try and figure out a way to fund it on her own. But this was already a victory, and Scylla would take it. The question of money would come later.

It had crossed her mind to just pay for it with her own resources, she was a princess and had riches that most people could only dream of. However, it didn’t feel right to just buy herself a shelter, it felt like a whim, like something a spoiled kid would do, and she was everything but. It would be done in Edgewood, surrounded by nature and close enough to a portal that anyone could travel from and to there if necessary. She had a very specific idea of what she wanted it to stand for, but also, it would need to feel home to a large pool of supernatural beings – she needed feedback from a few more people. Thus, the mermaid has set up a meeting, asking for volunteers, reaching out to those who were usually involved with her ministry’s projects. Their first encounter would be an opportunity for her to present the idea a little bit further but also to address the most urgent point on the agenda; the funding. She had thought of organizing a fundraiser, which seemed like a sound solution, but if nobody else in the department had time for it, she would need extra hands.

Scylla was pleased with the turnout. She already knew a few of those who showed up, a handful of regulars who usually were eager to work with the ministry and their latest projects whenever they needed outside help. The mermaid sighed upon recognizing an all too familiar silhouette. “Of course you’re here” she said between her teeth, halfway between amusement and irritation. She should have known that Milo would be there – he never missed an opportunity to get involved. His suggestions filled half the box on her desk. The young zouwu was also her close neighbour so she saw a fair amount of him on a regular basis. His idealism and youth-derived enthusiasm was useful most of the time, a perfect counterpart to her pragmatism and blunt realism. But sometimes – and increasingly more frequent as her patience wavered – it was downright annoying. “I assume you came here with a lot of thoughts on how this should be done?” she asked, eyebrows raised, already bracing herself for the numerous questions and headaches that would ensue.

CODAGE PAR AMATIS

in my defense i have none
I had all and then most of you. Some and now none of you. Take me back to the night we met. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, haunted by the ghost of you. BY MAGMA.
Invité
Invité
Personnage
Joueur•se

SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends Empty Re: SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends

Jeu 17 Déc 2020 - 22:23

They say we are what we are, but we don't have to be. I'm bad behavior but I do it in the best way, I'll be the watcher of the eternal flame. I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams.

It was one of those days where you wish you had stayed in bed. The morning alarm not doing its job, bed-head hair on a tired face rushing to brush your teeth while trying to get dressed, no time for breakfast or coffee, running out of the house and forgetting your keys, running back inside to feed the dog, running back out, the car powering up with the needle on a solid E, getting out trying to find some change for the bus and receiving a nice stinky gift on the shoulder by a grey feathered friend. A long sigh comes out of the unlucky bastard’s lips. Yes, you’re Milo, and you sure wish you would have stayed in bed.
The pigeon looked down from its branch with dumb googly eyes, cooing innocently at him. Milo shook his head. It could have been any other day and he wouldn’t have mind that much, after all he was used to being a bit clumsy, but this was not the right time. After months of submitting countless ideas of supernatural-related initiatives in Edgewood, he finally saw the government move towards something interesting: a supernatural shelter in Washington, better even, in his own neighborhood. He doubted he had any direct credit in this decision, but clearly, showing there was interest from the Washington supernatural community had not been for nothing. Today’s date was long circled in his calendar since the ministry had announced the fundraiser, and here he was. Late, with a ruined jacket and no car.
“You’re far from the city roofs, my friend”, the zouwu said in a sigh while getting back inside once more to get changed. The pigeon ruffled its feathers and cooed some more before flying back where it came from, the loud flapping of its wings filling the cold morning air.

Once inside he tossed the stained jacket into the washing machine and grabbed another one: a clean second-hand wool coat that he thought made him look fashionable. A bit less the style he liked to go with when working outside, but a city bird seemingly decided otherwise. His signature red scarf tied around his neck, he was finally ready to go. How he wished he could just roam around freely in other forms than human; they were such fragile creatures, always chilly even in the warm winter of the district. He would give anything to strolls the icy streets as a big furry wolf, comfortable and fluffy, but even the most tolerant residents had mixed feelings when it came to huge supernatural animals in public spaces. The thought made him smile. That was something Milo had in him: even on the worst days, he could always find a reason to smile. Speaking of wolves and happy things, his dog Marius came at him, his big goofy head pushing his hands for pets, and the zouwu decided to bring him along. Why not, he figured. The event was bound to be outside anyways; fundraisers didn’t meet their purpose between four administrative walls. So, they were off, the young zouwu and his tall dog walking together, both alike with their bed-head hair and their soft, curious gaze.

Half an hour later, they finally reached the spot marked by the ministry, the place already filled up with volunteers and some bureaucratic people shivering in their coats. Marius padded gently besides him, politely sniffing the people passing by, his nostrils flaring up at the scent of the hot chocolate someone was distributing. Milo looked at some of the folding tables arranged, some covered with paperwork and forms of all sorts, as he tried to find who was in charge. He was pretty well known in the community service world, so organizers were confident to leave him with greater responsibilities, so the young man was eager to see what he could do to help, bubbling with ideas. Because he knew most of the regulars here, he wasn’t surprised when someone called him out.  “Of course you’re here”. The tone was not quite what he expected. Turning his head toward the voice, he soon recognized one of his neighbors, Scylla Van Seabrook, who also happened to work for the Supernatural Ministry. The ironic remark couldn’t help but make the young man smile a little. He wasn’t exactly friend with her, but their relation was respectful and amiable, though he suspected he was often reaching her limits with his constant presence in her suggestion box and some previous… accidents involving Marius. “I assume you came here with a lot of thoughts on how this should be done?” she added, eyebrows raised. The smile didn’t fade from his lips, his dark eyes sparkling with gentle amusement. “Where else would I be?” he said in a witty way, shrugging, while his Irish wolfhound walked towards the woman as he recognized her. Truth be told, Milo was more surprised to see her outside amongst the volunteers, as she always seemed more of a businesswoman to him. “I actually submitted ideas regarding this fundraiser already, but I won’t be insulted if you didn’t read them, since there was indeed a lot. I take it you’re in charge of the event?”. The tone wasn’t sarcastic or bitter; he simply wanted to know more, if there was already a plan regarding how it would be done, and more importantly, how he could plug there and there some of his knowledge and insight.

egotrip

ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Scylla Van Seabrook
Scylla Van Seabrook
ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Personnage
:

Nombre de dés : trois dés en contrôle sonore, deux dés en contrôle sensoriel, un dé en persuasion et hypnose
Pouvoirs/capacités : sirène ; manipulation sonore (3D), contrôle sensoriel (2D) & hypnose (1D)
Joueur•se

SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends Empty Re: SCYLO ◊ dread the day when dreaming ends

Dim 27 Déc 2020 - 18:29

“I follow the night
Can't stand the light
When will will I begin
My life again?

Milo seemed surprised to find her here, which made sense. Scylla wasn’t usually on the field – even though the project bore her name, it was rare to see her outside of her office if she wasn’t on official duty that involved socializing. But this one project was special, though she couldn’t fully understand to what extent. The zouwu replied with the same tone, amused and determined. “Where else would I be?” He had such fire, such impertinence, it would have been extraordinarily refreshing had it not been irritating. Most people curtsied before Scylla, the supernaturals at least, given her position in the royal family and the Concil. Milo didn’t seem to care about her status, only about the work she did and how she did it, and how he could help. They weren’t friends per se, but they did seem to find each other in an awful lot of situations, with common interests. She stiffed a bit when the wolfhound walked towards her – she had gotten to know him a little since their first encounter, but the mermaid still didn’t fully trust animals. “I actually submitted ideas regarding this fundraiser already, but I won’t be insulted if you didn’t read them, since there was indeed a lot. I take it you’re in charge of the event?” Scylla resisted the urge to roll her eyes – how very like him. She could have pretended to have read the damn thing, but she didn’t have the energy to lie – the suggestions box hadn’t been opened in days. It sat on her office, daunting her, getting more and more tired of the millions of ways she still felt like she was falling short of people’s expectations of her.

She kept her composure, an easy thing to do after years and years of practice. “Who else would it be?” she snarled, mirroring his first reply to her question. She let out a discreet sigh and faked an apologetic tone that Milo would recognize for what it is. “I didn’t have the time or the courage to read them before coming here, to be honest. Besides yours, the suggestions we receive are usually pretty unhelpful or farfetched. Sometimes plain rude. So I thought I’d get more out of the people who would actually show up and do the work.” Which was the actual truth, minus the sentimental and personal drama that he wasn’t entitled to know. Milo wouldn’t mind going over his ideas again, certainly. He wasn’t one to get offended, he had said so himself, and Scylla suspected he was always quite happy to explain and brainstorm and share his overall enthusiasm, which would sometimes give her headaches. She also suspected they would get along if they tried to be friends though – she usually welcomed the type of people who could hold the conversation even she herself was a little quieter.

She looked around to gauge the participants. People were still arriving, but soon it would be time to convene and share ideas. She already had a draft of the guest list and possible locations that she wanted to suggest, but she desperately needed help on decorating, catering, and organizing the actual fundraiser. She knew the right people and could get them to come and spend their money for a good cause – it was the rest she needed help with. It was important to her to remain in charge, though she couldn’t quite explain why, this felt like her baby. She’d pioneered a bunch of projects for the Ministry before so her insistence felt irrational. She thought of Aspen – this surely was the kind of place that she could have come to, had there been such a place underwater. Her voice was quiet when she spoke again, measured. “I’m glad you’re here, but don’t hijack the whole thing okay? I really care about this one.” Scylla had always been honest. Ready to compromise, pleasant, polite but honest. It wasn’t one of her best qualities to be able to express her needs – most of the time she couldn’t even decipher what those were. But in this instance, though her own reasoning was a mystery even to herself, she needed to draw the line. She was pleased, though. As over-enthusiastic and over-achieving as Milo was, she couldn’t say she had ever been disappointed with something he did. Hard work didn’t scare him, and those were the kind of people that she needed today. If she managed not to scare them away and alienate everyone with her absolute need for control.

CODAGE PAR AMATIS

I had all and then most of you. Some and now none of you. Take me back to the night we met. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, haunted by the ghost of you. BY MAGMA.
Invité
Invité
Personnage
Joueur•se

Sam 16 Jan 2021 - 18:22

They say we are what we are, but we don't have to be. I'm bad behavior but I do it in the best way, I'll be the watcher of the eternal flame. I'll be the guard dog of all your fever dreams.

There were not many things to bring as much fire into Milo’s heart as using his own hands to help his community. The crisp morning air, the fallen leaves and the grass frozen over night crushing under his feet, the energetic chatter of the volunteers hurrying between stands like worker bees in search of their next task, thin swirls of vapor from coffee and hot chocolate filling the air with a sweet aroma… he couldn’t be more in his element. That was his rhythm, his answer to every question as he marched to the beat of the drums in his chest. He was even more thrilled to see that Scylla was here, in person; he knew that she couldn’t always make it to events, being usually very busy with important business of other sorts. Having her here felt right – after all, she was the one who brought up the whole project -, and even if they were very different in nature and in upbringing, they completed each other when they had the chance to work together. Milo’s mind was always bubbling with hundreds of ideas, running left and right where he could be useful, imploding with endless energy that often made him just as a spark: bright, luminous, intense, but prone to burn out as he never knew when to stop. The mermaid provided a calm, severe supervising that perfectly matched his character, harnessing the spark just enough to make it useful and concentrated where it should. Together, they were efficient and energetic, getting things done (and done well). “Who else would it be?”, the princess snapped back at him. He smiled once more. She was fierce, and he didn’t doubt that even without her guards – they were always around, these ones. He wished they could just have a normal conversation without having eyes watching him from a distance -, her piercing gaze would be enough to discourage any ill-meaning minds. Of course she was in charge. Not a lot of people in the ministry could lead such a project as well as her. Noticing a small flinch when Marius approached her, he whistled gently and the dog came back at him, slowly wagging his tail. “Sorry about the dog. I think he likes you”, he apologized while patting the shaggy head of his companion. The mermaid continued with a small sigh: “I didn’t have the time or the courage to read them before coming here, to be honest. Besides yours, the suggestions we receive are usually pretty unhelpful or farfetched. Sometimes plain rude. So I thought I’d get more out of the people who would actually show up and do the work”. The zouwu knew her enough to know courage didn’t have a single thing to do with it, and he felt the tingle of amusement finding its way in his chest. He couldn’t blame her, after all, there were more important things to do at the ministry than sit and read thousands of suggestions. The important part was that she was there, with him and all the others truly interested in the project. Truth be told, he didn’t mind going over his most important ideas once again. He also took a little pride in the hidden compliment she gave him, but he didn’t show it. He’d use the feeling later to get more things done.

Scylla took a moment to look around. More people were still arriving, and Milo thought that the event began to look more and more real as other willing hands were added to the count. Even if he liked talking about the specifics, he was fidgeting in place a little, impatient to get to work. In a quieter voice, she added: “I’m glad you’re here, but don’t hijack the whole thing okay? I really care about this one”. He chuckled a bit, shaking his head in approval. It was true he had a tendency to get all over the place in events like these, and he’d do his best to contain himself to the essential. At least he’d try. “Don’t worry… I won’t do more than you want me to, or… I’ll try. It’s your day.” He had to admit, it hurt a little bit to say these words, but it really wasn’t his place to take the lead today. There would be plenty of other occasions to do so. Dancing a bit on both his legs as he tried to fight the cold, he looked in the upper corner of his eyes, as if trying to remember something. “So… To begin, I thought that we would need to be visible, but not too obnoxious. The last thing we want is to make Edgewood residents feel like they might be tossed aside, even more so because it’s a shelter for… people like us.” They always had to be extra careful when conducting projects like these. It was a sad truth, but not less of a real one, and they had to take it into account. He lowered a slightly concerned gaze to the mermaid. “Shelters don’t always carry a good image, and people might be worried that it would disturb the neighboorhood's peace to have addicted and homeless supernaturals around.  We have to focus on all the good it would bring, and what advantages the residents have to make place for it in their streets. I’m not even sure I’d call it a shelter per say; its image will be really, really important, we can’t mess this up”. The way they would present it could entirely change the outcome of their success, and he had been in enough fundraisers to know that. People often think with their eyes, and a project is only as good as its public image. At least he had one thing nobody could ever resist: a cute dog. Doesn’t everyone love dogs? Marius was already popular with the volunteers, padding softly between everyone who was willing to give him pets. Maybe they could use him later.

egotrip

ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Scylla Van Seabrook
Scylla Van Seabrook
ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Personnage
:

Joueur•se

Lun 18 Jan 2021 - 0:30

“I follow the night
Can't stand the light
When will will I begin
My life again?

Milo didn’t seem offended in the slightest that she basically shut him down; he was overeager but he also had grace, patience, and a good-natured heart that Scylla simply hadn’t been blessed with. This made her regret that they didn’t talk work or get more chances to work together, with all of his ideas and her willingness to actually make a difference. But they led very different lives, and the mermaid’s was already so taken up by her duties as royalty, her demanding job and her marriage that she had very little left to actually enjoy for herself. “Don’t worry… I won’t do more than you want me to, or… I’ll try. It’s your day.” She returned the smile, convinced that he actually meant it. If she could channel his energy and optimism into an actual structured plan, there was a very good chance that this could work and that they’d already do a large potion of what needed to be done together, leaving just enough for the other volunteers to pitch in. Milo had the distinct look on his face of someone who was trying very hard to remember something – Scylla knew, then, that she was in for a vivid retelling of whatever million notes he had sent her in the past few days. But weirdly enough, she was rather looking forward to it. There weren’t enough young people at the Ministry or at the White House, she missed their perspective and audacity. Surely there would be something in his take that she hadn’t considered, strengths to balance her weaknesses and vice versa. “So… To begin, I thought that we would need to be visible, but not too obnoxious. The last thing we want is to make Edgewood residents feel like they might be tossed aside, even more so because it’s a shelter for… people like us.” Scylla remained silent but gave him a look of agreement. The gaze they exchanged contained everything that needed to be said. There was no doubt, it was hard to hear but the project was undoubtfully much harder to put into place because of the people it was directed at. There would be mistrust and defiance, surely. It was crucial that their approach wasn’t too ‘in your face’ but rather subtle, elegant.

She knew that Milo was supernatural as well – but had never thought to ask, considering it a rather personal question, so she’d shrugged it off completely until he told her himself. She’d rather focus on the project than spend hours guessing ; even though she had already ticked off a few possibilities. They would need early sketches for the posters right away, and Scylla was thinking of a letter to be addressed to the whole neighbourhood with information to educate the residents on the matter, but it seemed rather old school. “Shelters don’t always carry a good image, and people might be worried that it would disturb the neighbourhood’s peace to have addicted and homeless supernaturals around.  We have to focus on all the good it would bring, and what advantages the residents have to make place for it in their streets. I’m not even sure I’d call it a shelter per say; its image will be really, really important, we can’t mess this up”. Scylla wanted to snap at him that she knew perfectly well how important this was, since she had initiated the whole thing, but abstained herself from commentary. She knew he meant well – and in a way, it was heartening and a relief to see how much he took it to heart. It was him and the people like him who would bring the idea to life; not bring four walls and a roof together but make it an actual worthwhile thing that could make a difference in many younglings’ lives. She nodded and looked around for a second, her voice measured despite the weariness in her tone. “We’re going to have to work around the fact that they will consider the youth coming to this shelter, or whatever we end up calling it, problematic. There’s going to be a lot of myth-debunking involved, but I guess that won’t happen overnight.” This was a much bigger issue, unfortunately. One that they had neither the time nor the power to tackle at this point. But it didn’t necessarily mean that there was nothing to be done…

A few ideas popped into her mind right there and then, and she made a note to mention them afterwards once they discussed this segment specifically. But if they could gather a few young supernaturals who would be attending the shelter and film portraits of them, or even encourage meetings and use the media to get the community to know them better and consider them actual human beings and not nuisances, that would already get them started. “Your point about image is interesting though. That’s what I do for a living so we’re lucky there. I can persuade the high Washington society to see it as a good cause, worthy of their time and money.” No doubt there, this was where she shone. From her position at the ministry and her status as a princess, she knew a large portion of the capital’s elite and how to get them to invest in anything, knew what buttons to push and what leverage to use. They all had something in common – they were obsessed with their image, and that was just her specialty. Scylla looked Milo straight in the eyes and half-smiled. “Where I need help though, is with the actual people. The residents. You look… closer to them than I am. So your input would be very much appreciated.” She’d hesitated in her choice of words, hoping that this wouldn’t be seen as an implication that he was a poor man among the poor people. But they definitely had different statuses and different perspectives and this was an occasion where they would come off particularly handy.

CODAGE PAR AMATIS

Invité
Invité
Personnage
Joueur•se

Ven 29 Jan 2021 - 17:30

Milo was prepared to detect some irritation radiating from the mermaid as he spoke. If he had a tendency to be quiet in other social situations, generally preferring to listen rather than to speak, this was a whole other matter: if he had any chance to help with a cause he held dear, he instantly became a tornado of speech and ideas that not everyone could bear with. However, as he explained in length a small portion of what he had in mind – and even then, he made a considerate effort to keep it short – Scylla was simply listening. Reflecting his smile as he promised to let her lead, she let him approach the public image problematic, her eyes shining with intelligence. No distinct negative emotions emanated from her, which was certainly a win for Milo: he was not annoying her… yet. He was used to be an annoyance, and sometimes it’s what it took to make things change for good, but for now, he felt it was better not to challenge his luck. Maintaining a good relationship with someone as powerful as her was very useful, but past that, he began to take a liking to the sea princess; had they not lived such different lives, they could even had become friends. It occurred to him that she probably didn’t know he was a zouwu: she, herself was a bit of a celebrity in the supernatural world, but they didn’t broach the subject of their origins in detail and he thought that it might even bore her; so he had just brushed off the issue without further thought. Maybe he feared that knowing would belittle him in her mind, change the way she perceived him, and for now, he was simply happy with the little pride her consideration for his ideas provided him. It was best not to change that.

As he finished to expose his worries about the neighborhood’s reaction to the shelter in the making, Scylla nodded and looked around for a bit.  It was his turn to listen. “We’re going to have to work around the fact that they will consider the youth coming to this shelter, or whatever we end up calling it, problematic. There’s going to be a lot of myth-debunking involved, but I guess that won’t happen overnight”. Myths and stereotypes were indeed a very hard thing to tear off from people’s minds, and he knew it way too well. It was hard enough being supernatural in a world that wasn’t made for them or want them: add that to the American disgust for the poor and people in need, and it was really the worst of every situation. He already had some ideas to help with the issue, at least to try and sensitize the people from around here. If it was possible in New-Orleans, why not here? Biting the inside of his cheeks to refrain from talking yet, he nodded as the mermaid spoke. “Your point about image is interesting though. That’s what I do for a living so we’re lucky there. I can persuade the high Washington society to see it as a good cause, worthy of their time and money.” A spark lit in his eye as he heard those words. He wouldn’t dare say it in front of her but sucking the resources from way too rich people to help those in need were one of his (not so) guilty pleasures. Scylla was perfect for the persuasion role: where he could be blunt and too honest for bourgeois manners, she had influence and knew her way around these parts of society. As if she read his mind, she continued: “Where I need help though, is with the actual people. The residents. You look… closer to them than I am. So your input would be very much appreciated.” Hearing the hesitation in her tone, he smiled once again while looking down for a second. It was funny to see the little differences in the way they saw things, in the words they chose. Where she seemed to choose her words carefully, as to not offend, Milo simply didn’t mind. He was who he was, and there was no shame in that, but he could see how that could’ve put off some people from her own social circles. His tone was not as hesitant, but there was a touch of amusement in his voice. “Yes, that would be best. No offense, but people from around here might see you as quite… impressive”. As middle-class were often weary of poorer folks, they might also be reluctant to concede their precious green neighborhood to who they thought were business sharks. “As you must guess, I have some ideas about what we could do with that issue, but since we agreed it’s your project…” he sighed softly. It was hard for him to give up the commands or harness his energy for a bit, but he knew there was no way around it. “… tell me first if you had anything specific in mind to get us started”.

egotrip

ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Scylla Van Seabrook
Scylla Van Seabrook
ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Personnage
:

Joueur•se

Sam 30 Jan 2021 - 21:51

“I follow the night
Can't stand the light
When will will I begin
My life again?

Scylla was so used to walking on eggshells that she automatically twisted what she actually meant to say in a more presentable, acceptable version. It was only when she heard Milo laugh that she realized exactly how often she did it, and how ridiculous is was. Clearly, he could tell, and he didn’t take offense. They were indeed very different – but somehow that was what brought them closer, what made them so efficient. They had different strengths and different weaknesses and the complemented each other. No bullshit, just hard work and sometimes the wagging of a dog’s tail. “Yes, that would be best. No offense, but people from around here might see you as quite… impressive” Touché. Scylla smiled broadly – just like her, he could have said something else entirely and still be right. She was royalty, supernatural and was working for the White House. For most people, she must have looked like a snob, so far away from the people it was downright insulting that she was even there on the field, trying. At least she was actually trying. She loved her neighbourhood though. True, she wasn’t close to her actual neighbours, but she loved the water, the green paths, the leaves in the fall, the breath-taking sights and the smell of the grass in the morning. She was an outsider when she walked along the river, just as unknown from the public eye as they all were, she likes the stillness of it all. The moment usually broke down when the guards made themselves known, branches cracking behind her heels, but there was no doubt in her mind that she wanted to make the neighbourhood better, not because she thought she was better than the lot, but because it was her community too.

Milo went on, visibly cautious. She regretted telling him not to hijack the project then, if that resulted in him hesitating, not wanting to get as involved as he would have wanted to be, by fear of upstaging her. She pursed her lips – for someone who considered what she said so carefully, she really ought to be more mindful of their impact on other people. “As you must guess, I have some ideas about what we could do with that issue, but since we agreed it’s your project…” Her eyes darkened. Yes, she definitely regretted that one. “… tell me first if you had anything specific in mind to get us started” She really needed to let go of a few things – first of all, of the idea that if she wasn’t bearing all of the weight, then she wouldn’t get all of the credit. She had been raised to be a leader, and it was hard to delegate sometimes, to let go of the idea that she needed to perform, to have all the perfect ideas, all the best plans. She’d been set up to fail, and it was still hard to realize it. “You can tell me if you think that’s a crap idea. It’s my project, but it doesn’t mean I don’t need help” Especially since she had to reach a population that she usually wasn’t too in touch with. She didn’t want to drive the idea in the ground just because she had too many blind spots and refused criticism – and Milo was maybe one of the few who could do it without offending even if he ended up shutting the ideas down entirely. It would be justified. Buy boy – did she hope that she had at least some good ones, just so she could hold on to the familiarity of the ‘gifted child syndrome’ just a little longer.

She looked around and joined her hands together, lowering her voice. “I was thinking, you know, we agree on the fact that people are afraid of what they don’t know. But what if the potential residents of the shelter weren’t unknown? What if they had faces and names to put next to the project?” She could see it from here – the locals thinking that the place would be filled with drug addicts and dangerous delinquents with supernatural powers, avoiding the place altogether and throwing dirty looks in its general direction. But just like everyone did once they were in direct contact with someone, they would be forced to reconsider their judgement and their preestablished misconceptions. “It might be dangerous because we don’t know who’s a lunatic in the lot and I don’t want to put any supernatural life at risk – but it might be a good think to do portraits, maybe partner with a local newspaper and feature a few of the future residents, so they can tell their story, their struggles… It might even make some people want to help.” She was speaking as she was thinking for once – no big speech planned, no rehearsal for the tone or the rhythm, just a person bouncing ideas off someone else, hoping it would pay off. “What do you reckon?” She locked eyes with him again, eager to hear the feedback. Surprisingly, she wasn’t waiting for praise, only a harsh and just reality check if needed.   

CODAGE PAR AMATIS

Invité
Invité
Personnage
Joueur•se

Mar 23 Mar 2021 - 0:14

The crisp crack of aluminum paper filled the short silence between them as Milo took out a packet of gum from his coat, waiting for an answer. He popped the white candy in his hands and quickly shoved it in his mouth, letting his nostrils filling up with ice-cold air as the menthol took its effect. Chewing helped him to think, he believed. A repetitive motion to keep his head from jumping everywhere, concentrated on the pressure of his teeth together, on the aggressive taste of peppermint on his tongue. In a relaxed gesture, he offered some to the princess, as if he was chatting with any other regular pal, any other friendly face while waiting for the city bus. He was really just like that. Even if he tried, he couldn’t bring himself to act any different in the presence of royalty than in the presence of a plain Edgewood citizen. Why bother? To him, people were just people, regardless of their title, of their money, of their power. He wasn’t daft, and roughly knew what was appropriate or not as to not offend and keep some good favors to him, but he really disliked the way some people bent themselves in weird ways to seem pleasing to a supposedly superior eye. At the end, Scylla and he were both supernatural, were both Edgewood residents, and even if a whole world composed of deep-sea kingdoms and sparkling zouwu revolutions stood between them, they both wanted the same thing: do good for their community. He respected that in her, truly. He liked the tranquility of their neighborhood, the smell of the leaves in the rain, the bubbling of the water in the spring, and most of all, he loved its people. The child, the elderly, the human and the supernatural, the fortunate and the unfortunate. He hoped she saw it in him. He hoped she saw the will to do good, rooted deep in his heart, more than she saw the annoyance of a thousand notes in a suggestion box. “You can tell me if you think that’s a crap idea. It’s my project, but it doesn’t mean I don’t need help”. The rough formulation took him aback for a moment, and he had to think especially hard about the aspartame-y taste on his gums to refrain from chuckling. No wonder why he liked her so much, the aristocrat from the ocean castle; she wasn’t quite as any other self-sufficient rich girl with manners so perfect it could stun a queen. She was simply true, bold. Hearing her speak, you could almost think she was one of the people. He appreciated that she conceded him some liberty, and he decided to take it seriously. They had no time to waste with some formalities or polite arguing about what he could or could not say; still, he remembered to leave her some space. A fair compromise, in the circumstances. Maybe they could both learn from it.

The mermaid continued, joining her hands, and lowering her voice as if she was afraid to be heard. Milo unconsciously tilted his head forward to hear her better, but also as a non-verbal openness to confidence. Marius the dog pivoted his gray ears towards them as if he wished to be included too. “I was thinking, you know, we agree on the fact that people are afraid of what they don’t know. But what if the potential residents of the shelter weren’t unknown? What if they had faces and names to put next to the project?” Milo smiled faintly as he listened. This was definitely a day full of smiles. He hoped it would stay that way for a bit longer if he managed not to annoy the hell out of anyone right away. He had an idea of where she was going with this, and decided not to comment yet, simply nodding in understanding. “It might be dangerous because we don’t know who’s a lunatic in the lot and I don’t want to put any supernatural life at risk – but it might be a good think to do portraits, maybe partner with a local newspaper and feature a few of the future residents, so they can tell their story, their struggles… It might even make some people want to help”. He couldn’t stop a small flinch of the brow as she pronounced the word “lunatic”, regaining the pose he had before by moving his head backwards. He couldn’t be mad at her for that misconception, after all they didn’t all had the chance to actually work in the streets as he had done weekly for the past years. She didn’t know, she couldn’t know. Lunatics didn’t end up in shelters. The country wasn’t so kind as to offer them that chance; most of the time, the ones perceived as too dangerous were quickly sent to jail or met their ends under the zealous intolerance of murderers in blue. No, the people they found in shelters were there because they wanted help. Youngsters evicted of their home, without families, single mothers without hope, elderly supernaturals without anyone to take care of them. They were just people. Not lunatics. He bit his tongue a little bit, thinking about what to say. “What do you reckon?” He decided not to pick up on her word choice, it was best this way and they weren’t there to have an argument about their views of the world but to get the work done. But he certainly had some things to say. “It’s risky to do it like that, but it might be very efficient if we do it properly. We have to understand that these people are not circus freaks, some of them will not want to get their faces out there. To them, it’s a shame enough to even have to go to a shelter. And if we go down that road, we can’t cherry pick who’s gonna get shown. If you want them to be your publicity, you’ll have the ugly amongst the pretty, and it might be scary to some residents, but at least it will be the truth”. He took some time to inhale, exhale. He really, really hoped she wouldn’t mind what he had to say; they couldn’t get around the truth about this kind of subject, and he truly did his best to stay as diplomat as possible. “On the other hand, it’s a good opportunity to humanize them in the eyes of the city. To show to the weary that they really are just people like you an I. Rather than going through the trouble of finding the very few future shelter users that will want to get out there and speak to papers, we could organize some kind of community get-together. An evening meal with the residents and the users. Nothing like food and music to get to know your neighbors and to gather money for a cause. I’m sure Edgewood churches would be happy to help and welcome us in their hall.” And if security was an issue, he was sure Scylla knew some people that would be glad to join in and assure the smoothness of the whole thing.

egotrip

ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Scylla Van Seabrook
Scylla Van Seabrook
ADMIN ◊ ORDRE DE CAÏN
Personnage
:

Joueur•se

Sam 3 Avr 2021 - 21:30

“I follow the night
Can't stand the light
When will will I begin
My life again?

Scylla felt him tense. Immediately, she furrowed her brow, surprised at how suddenly important the opinion of a twenty-something was to her. She had nothing to prove, and yet she felt worried, as if she was fighting an imposter syndrome, she never knew she had. She was used to having good ideas, to having people marvel at them. She was smart, she was efficient, and she could be relied on. And if she didn’t have that she had nothing. So, it wasn’t exactly true what she’d said to Milo a few moments earlier, that he could feel free to tell her if he thought the idea was worthless – the truth was, she couldn’t bear to know that she had gotten something wrong. And the tension she felt across from her didn’t bode well. She waited nevertheless, gave him time to collect his thoughts without over-analysing each expression, each movement of his face while chewing. “It’s risky to do it like that, but it might be very efficient if we do it properly. We have to understand that these people are not circus freaks, some of them will not want to get their faces out there. To them, it’s a shame enough to even have to go to a shelter. And if we go down that road, we can’t cherry pick who’s gonna get shown. If you want them to be your publicity, you’ll have the ugly amongst the pretty, and it might be scary to some residents, but at least it will be the truth” Scylla nodded. She wanted to push back, arguing the use of ‘be her publicity’ which she felt was unfair and far from the work she was trying to do, but she decided to let it go. That wasn’t Milo’s point anyway. He was right on most of it – they couldn’t pick who was camera-worthy and who wasn’t. That would only lead to tension and more isolation and discrimination.

She bit her tongue and let him go on. “On the other hand, it’s a good opportunity to humanize them in the eyes of the city. To show to the weary that they really are just people like you and I. Rather than going through the trouble of finding the very few future shelter users that will want to get out there and speak to papers, we could organize some kind of community get-together. An evening meal with the residents and the users. Nothing like food and music to get to know your neighbours and to gather money for a cause. I’m sure Edgewood churches would be happy to help and welcome us in their hall.” At least they agreed on the goal. Debunk the stories and the myths about violence and supernatural threats. Maybe Scylla was too used to the media, to the speeches, too invested in her communication job that she forgot how to reach actual people. Milo was right. They were trying to win over residents of Edgewood, not the high and mighty of Barney Circle. They needed proximity. It pained her to say – his strategy was probably better. Although hers would have gotten national attention, it wasn’t the right occasion. “It could work.” she said to herself as well as him, brows furrowed and brain fuming. Was he seeking validation as much as she was? Doubtful. And ironic, given their respective positions. “We have to separate events though. We can’t combine the fundraiser with the get-together, it doesn’t serve the same purpose. I don’t want the supernaturals to feel like dancing monkeys for investors to sponsor.” There was something that made her uneasy about mixing the elite that she was trying to milk for money with the shelter users that would have a very different life experience. They would be looked at from every angle, exploited for tragedy potential and heart wrenching stories for the rich to tell their families at dinner time. She hated the idea. They had to separate the funding from the get together, that much was now obvious to her.

She gazed into Milo’s eyes, and nodded again slightly. “The dinner is a good idea. But we have to convince people to come, people who are going to be frightened and not know what to expect. The whole point is to make them curious and engaged in the supernatural issues. I’m thinking…” A short pause. Didn’t humans practically invent bribery? The act of luring people in and tricking them into seeing what you wanted them to see. Scylla wanted to be honest and upfront, but she also knew that glamour and glimmer were essential tools, honey with which to attract ants. “Maybe we invite a popular supernatural celebrity or two, to raise awareness. You can argue, but that’s how PR works. They will come out of curiosity, but they will stay for the truth.” She anticipated Milo’s outrage at the use of publicity, yet again, which she would defend. It was a means to an end, and the benefits far outweighed the cost. Plus, she actually had a few friends which would probably be happy to make an appearance, take a picture and sign a napkin or two before redirecting attention to those who actually needed it.

CODAGE PAR AMATIS

Contenu sponsorisé
Personnage
Joueur•se